Thursday, September 18, 2014

Flat tyres, happy samaritans and what nots.....

There is this article that comes on some National newspaper on Saturdays that lets women talk about their cars. What do they call it, how does it handle, you know questions women wouldn't normally think about. I am not stupid in the car department (I watch top gear) so I know a little about cars, or to be more precise, I know quite a bit about MY car. The one question that always baffles me is "What do you do when you got a flat?" The answer is always the same. From the girl who calls her duet Millie to the road hog who thinks Pedro was a wise name for her Range Rover. "I change my own tyres. I think its a skill every woman should have." Liar, Liar, your pants be on fire. That lie may impress hopeful college students and young high school minds but they do not fool any woman who has ever, EVER tried to change a wheel on her own.
Unless you have the upper body strength of Hulk, I suggest you re-think your answer. In all the years I have been behind the wheel, I have had the misfortune to change my own tyre once. And people, that was one time too many. After what seemed like hours of toiling in the hot sun, my spare almost ran away from me a few minutes after getting back onto the road. That wheel was held by the grace of God and pixie dust because the nuts were definitely not doing a great job of it. My guardian angels sometimes do have to earn their keep. I have very little to no upper body strength. I have toddler nephews who have lifted heavier weights than I have. So if ever I was asked, "What would you do if you got a flat?", My answer would be a resounding "NOOOOOOO!"
So, 2 Fridays ago, the unimaginable happened. Pedro got a flat (He may not be a Range Rover, but I treat him like one). It was early morning, I was rushing to work, it was cold and raining like the clouds were angry with our desire to go out and earn a living. I was determined. So at the demure pace of 20kph, (that was all I could manage on the rough, wet roads of Nairobi) I did not feel the wheel depressurise to nothingness. Mostly because, deep in my heart, I never thought it could happen at this hour in such weather. There I am hobbling on at a snail's pace in the rain when this motor-bike behind me keeps flashing its lights .... at me. I have watched enough Jicho Pevu to send me into irrational panic, so I resolutely refused to stop.....for 10 minutes. These could be gang members, or small boys with guns they can't use. I did not have enough assets for anyone to inherit. I felt that my demise would be a waste to humanity so I drove on... for myself and the lives of my dependants. However, the motor bike rider was insistent. He rode up to my window, pointed frantically at my wheel, pointed again more frantically, shouted something I didn't catch and I finally got the message. (Samaritan no. 1)
Ever the cautious woman, I drove to the next estate and drove in. If they were up to no good, at least I could scream for help. They drove on past me glad that they had done their good deed of the day. I got out of my car and stared point blank at my problem....and immediately, with no warning whatsoever, I started to weep. My first instinct was to pick up my things and continue my journey to the office on foot. Car be damned. I didn't need this!!!
However, like a knight in wet soaking clothes, this chap came out from under a tree, looked at me pitifully and told me "leta gari karibu nitakubadilishia" (bring the car closer, I will change it for you). Some things you don't have to be told twice. He toiled in the rain while I unsuccessfully tried to provide cover with my small umbrella. It was muddy, it was cold, I was pitying him, I was pitying myself....good times all round. Within minutes, the car was fixed, my donut was on and I was ready to conquer the world in my muddy jeans and wet jacket. In true Kenyan fashion, I reached out for my wallet to 'thank' him. He looked at me like a silly child and said words that still bring tears to my eyes "Ni sawa, Nilikuwa tu nakusaidia. Lakini unaweza nisaidia na kitu ya kupanguza mikono." I gave him my whole box of tissue. He had saved my car. He had saved my life. I could have given him the clothes off my back if he had asked. (Samaritan no.2)
In the midst of my profuse gratitude, some chap comes up and says he needs to jump start his car that had stalled a few meters back. I know after everything that had happened, I should have jumped at the opportunity to help, but a girl does not erase Jicho Pevu stories in a day. I hesitated....but just for a second. Then I realised it may take him forever to get someone to stop and help. So I took my blessings, prayed to the dark clouds above and went to jump start his car. (Samaritan no. 3 :-)
Needless to say the rest of the day wasn't my most pleasant day, but I know it would have turned out much worse if the bodaboda guy didn't flag me down or the guy from under the tree didn't appear and offer to help or the wet guy with his stalled car didn't come begging for help (I wouldn't have known someone had stolen my jump start cables. Now I know and can plan to buy some new ones). Life is funny like that. No, I cannot change my own tyre and I shall not pretend I can (because someone may take me seriously) and I am clearly not the strongest person in the face of adversity but as far as things go, God does keep providing me with happy Samaritans. :-)

5 comments:

  1. Most Women wouldnt understand how a man can just walk up to them and offer help with changing a tyre without expecting a reward or payment. Sometimes men are just out to help and all they need is a thank you from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very touched by his actions. :'D Sometimes on the worst days I meet the best people.

      Delete
  2. May I re-post this as one amongst the series of #100ActsofKindness running on my blog?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive