Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Your Voice matters.

I am a registered voter. :D In this climate, it's almost as exciting as saying, I just got nominated for some fancy prize. And as such, I am allowed to give my 2 cents on the politics of the day. Because my voice now matters. In my simple opinion, anyone who has has not officially registered, has not earned a right to voice their opinions, because their views are as distant as my views on the current revolution in Egypt.
I believe our country has faced 4 major political election mile stones: When we finally became an independent state in 1963, when we became a multi-party state in 1992, the people revolution of 2002, and now March 2013. Here is why I think 2013 is a mile stone for our nation. It is the first time, we are voting as a democratic state as opposed to the revolutionary state of 2002/7 or the oppressed state of 1992/7. The voters of this nation are going to have a choice to make based on whatever principles they value as true. Whether tribal or capitalist or communist or even fanatical. This time round, it will truly be every man for himself. One man, one vote.
When TNA launched its presidential bid earlier in the year, and later 'KNC-Tunawesmake', it marked a shift in the Kenyan political field. It was an announcement that it was time for parties to show not only the financial machinery and fanatical following behind them, but the policies that governed them. Even a lesser known Chris Matata Musyoka, launched his bid to an even lesser recognisable crowd. It is impossible to know whether the crowd was made up of idlers just enjoying the park, or of people who actually knew who he was and were there to listen to him, but at least it showed that the democratic space has surely opened up. Because if he could be allowed to hold a rally with no hoola baloo,it showed an environment of good will not only by the competition but also by the national press that covered him albeit in small quantities. Same goes for the likes of Kingwa Kamencu, who in spite of myself, has impressed me with her courage and sheer power to absorb insult upon injury. I can safely say at this point, my vote will neither go to Matata or Kamencu. It is not because I doubt their passion for the country, but after listening to them and reading abit about them, I believe my nation needs people with more political and socio-economic experience. A place neither of them has convinced me they have reached.
Voting for a president and his team is the same as choosing a board of directors to a company. They shall decide, not only the direction the country shall move, but how far and how fast we shall move and for how long. Some decisions, though well-intentioned, will kick this nation in the nuts and those are the decisions we will need to know before we hire. It is commendable how the appointment of public office representatives (Chief Justice, Inspector General etc) have been made for public viewing. We listen to their backgrounds, their strengths and their weaknesses, we listen as their careers and failures are scrutinized, as they defend their successes and their choices. We give our back seat opinions and hope our laymen choices will be short listed. This is the kind of zeal and vigour we should apply when choosing the highest posts in the land. Because unlike the interviews we watch from a distance, we are the ones at the forefront of this decision making. We are the interviewers. Granted that we are still a state in which tribe and fanatism rule the political scene, and we will probably always live in that country, but as tribal lines get blurred, we need to start listening to reason. Really listen to what each and every one of them has to say. We cannot continue voting the same way and keep wondering why things remain the same. It is madness. And that madness is what drove us to the brink of disaster in 2007.
Me, I, personally, have decided to listen to every leader and judge him not by his fanatical chants and tribal lines but to carefully listen for the contents of his words. His beliefs and his vision. I shall play interviewer and list down, calmly and carefully, if the requirements I need in a president are being met. I shall listen to their experiences, their challenges, their weaknesses and how they handled them, their confidence in the future of my land, their actions on my fragile economy, their thoughts on my security situation. I need to hear all these things mentioned. I need to hear where they not only see themselves in 5 years, but where they see me. And if, they have already been in power in one or more capacities in the past, what did they do and how did they handle the challenges of being in that position? How will they make it easier for the people coming to fill those same positions that they have left behind? It is very important for me to know, who it is I am giving the future of my country and my children's country.
On December 4th when battle lines are drawn in the sand and political parties are officially announced, I do hope the people running for different posts have created a strategy that goes over and beyond what we have seen and heard before. Politics is a dirty game all over the world, but how dirty it gets is our choice to make, not the candidates. They are just candidates in an interview room that we have created. We are a panel of what I am hoping will be 18 Million people and we all have a part to play in this process. You cannot refuse to vote just because you think the person you believe in, will not become president or governor or council rep. Your voice needs to be heard. Your opinion matters. However small you think it is. Because a vote not cast, is a vote the person you don't want to be in power. This is my plea to whoever will read this post, Please, get your voice heard. Register to vote.
A leader is not judged by his words but by the content of his character - Pst. Linda Adolwo
This post is dedicated to all who were affected either psychologically or physically by the post election violence of 2007. It is dedicated to my nation, Kenya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive