Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Trypophobia....and other unusual fears.

So if you have not already run to google to find out what trypophobia is, let me the shining light that helps you along. Trypophobia is fear of clustered holes. It is usually small holes in organic objects, such as lotus seed heads or bubbles in batter, that give trypophobics the extreme willies, triggering reactions like itchy skin, nausea and a general feeling of discomfort. Well, you must be wondering what this has to do with anything whatsoever.
"My name is Murasta, and I am trypophobic." I dont know exactly when I discovered that I had this ridiculous fear but I cannot look directly at clustered circular holes or honeycombs. Especially if they are of varying sizes. It makes my skin crawl, sometimes nauseous and in rare occasions, I feel faint. Such fears are not one of those things you share because its cool. You consult Google....widely and when you discover a doctor will do nothing for your dilemma. Except one vicious article that explained phobias can be cured by over exposure. Does he want to kill us all. So now, I have learnt to go around avoiding bee farms and architecture that involves unnecessary holes in the walls.
It is actually quite a common occurrence despite the fact that 1 out of every 1000 shrinks have heard of it (self statistics). I went to google, typed in my problem and bam! second link and I have a problem solved. There's even a Facebook page dedicated to trypophobics and has....wait for it....over 4000 fans. However, as I read further, phobias are supposed to affect your everyday activities, and most psychologists don't think a general fear of bubbles in my butter is a big discomfort to my day to day activity. Hence the reason, they do not consider it a real phobia. Considering I love my buttered toast, I think, it is causing considerable discomfort to my life. I may never own an ant farm or harvest my own honey, so we really shouldn't trivialize this particular fear. But also according to psychologists (another different set I presume), human beings can be afraid of absolutely anything. Here's a short list of some unusual, sometimes funny phobias.
Allodoxaphobia - Fear of opinions. (Now imagine how few friends this guy has!) Apeirophobia - Fear of infinity. (Such limited expectations) Anatidaephobia- Fear of being watched by a duck (it's always watching you....always!) Arachibutyrophobia- This is the fear of eating peanut butter and having it stick to the roof of your mouth. (yes, it could happen to anyone.) Cardiophobia - Fear of the heart. (This one needs abit more research because I think it is ridiculous...hahaha!) Cyprianophobia/ Cypridophobia/Cyprinophobia/Cypriphobia - Fear of prostitutes or venereal disease.(you should be afraid! You should be!!!) Counterphobia: It is a psychological condition or phobia in which the affected person deliberately seeks out the object or situation that he or she fears the most, rather than avoiding it.(You could really drive yourself crazy with this one.) Euphobia: This is the fear of hearing good news. (How can you afraid to be happy!) Geliophobia: Fear of laughter (not to be confused with euphobia. One can hear good news but not laugh at it!) Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia/ Sesquipedalophobia- Fear of long words (Oh, the irony). Hypegiaphobia/Hypengyophobia - Fear of responsibility.(I'm sure I'm speaking to some people today) Koinoniphobia - Fear of rooms. (This explains hippies!) Levophobia - Fear of things to the left side of the body. (This girl will never sing 'to the left to the left'. Never) Mythophobia - Fear of myths or stories or false statements. (And that is how trust issues are developed) Novercaphobia: Also known as the fear of stepmother(Occurs more often than we think!) Optophobia - Fear of opening one's eyes. (now this is just sad) Panophobia/Pantophobia - Fear of everything.(Like really, everything?!!!! A moment of silence is needed for this lot!) Phobophobia: Morbid fear of developing a phobia.(I don't even know what to say to that.) Scriptophobia- It's a fear of writing in public, wherein the person is over-conscious and nervous whenever he writes. Teleophobia - Fear of difinite plans. (What? huh!well, maybe...I'll call you!)
I have no idea what some of the images are. Hopefully they are relevant to the cause. I could have edited spelling mistakes and such but I'm finding it hard to re-read....you know...trypophobia and all. :-)

3 comments:

  1. that first pic of the lotus makes my skin crawl because of a certain disgusting forward about maggots from used underwear ... debunked here http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/breastrash.asp that image is creepy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn! didnt know trypophobia was a thing. Thought i was just weird, lol. aki my skin itches, and invisible insects practically crawl on my skin and hair! Not just at circles but any patterns...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the world of strange phobias sweetheart. We should form a support group.

      Delete

Blog Archive