Friday, October 8, 2010

Hope for the Hopeless

Have you ever met someone who made you feel insignificant? Not in the kind of way that makes you wish them dead but in the way that makes you wonder "And what great thing have I done lately?"

I met a couple yesterday evening. When I decided to meet them I was quite skeptical. I had a rough idea as to what they wanted from me. After all, when we exchanged cards I knew exactly what I was offering and ho it connected with what they were asking for. When I first decided to meet them, it was more for the feel good feeling. Personally, I thought we'd exchange cards, get a pat on the back for making a first step and then never see them again. They called the very next day.


So after a few false starts towards a meeting, yesterday we finally arranged a first meeting. I just wanted to get a feel of what they do and what they were about. My understanding of NGO's, the UN included is an organisation that collects 100% of the money needed, spends 20% on the cause they are fighting for and accounts 80% to expenses. To say I have little regard for NGOs is to say too much.

So off on my high house I went and what I found out touched me unexpectedly.

This couple's overall vision is to re-connect street children back to their families and to counsel them to a point where the child is stable enough. They have been taking in children into their own home, rehabilitating them, tracing down their families, reconnecting them, following them up after the re-union for the past 11 years or so. What amazed me was the commitment and passion they have for these children. They did not start a home or a foundation or a world wide initiative. They just opened up their home, took in children and re-united them to their families and got them back to school.

So far, they have rehabilitated over 300 children in this way and have a full time staff of 15 or so people. Their out reach has gone as far as Western Kenya. They have in the process of their work, got other couples and families to take in children for a time and stabilize them to a point they can return back to their homes. They have gotten people to sponsor poor children through school to a point they can take care of themselves.

At any one time they have 2 children at their home and depending on the state of the children, they live with them for up to 2 years as their own. They are in no way adopting these children. In fact they told me they had never adopted a child. They already have 4 kids of their own and grandkids. So their calling to the world, is to get family units for the children they find. To give them hope and to show them that there is a future beyond the streets and crime.

Eventually through well-wishers and word of mouth, they have now been able to work with kids in government half way houses where they go counsel and do home schooling and help track down families and even just pray with them. The emotional strength of these people is unbelievable, their passion unquestionable and their desire to help....well, I have never seen it before.

After I met them, I actually felt irrelevant. Like I don't do enough. I don't put myself out there to help those around me. These 2 people left their careers and lives behind to touch children who thought they'd have careers or lives. They showed me for a glimpse of a moment that I have nothing to lose by letting go of myself. What have I done lately to change my community?


Nobel Prizes are being given out this week. But there are so many people out there who in their own small way are changing lives. Who are transforming society and communities. This couple hasn't just touched 300 children, it has touched 300 families and in turn, 300 communities. Not to mention, the rest of us random people who are watching from the sidelines.

From now on, I won't walk around judging NGO's harshly.At least not all of them. Well, some still need to be harshly rebuked but they are a few out there that are actually out to help those around them and achieving much more than we can believe or imagine.

If you would like to help or read more about them. Offer yourself in terms of skills, prayers, money, etc etc.,please visit their website:
http://www.kenyachildrenofhope.org/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive