Thursday, March 6, 2014

I walk, I run and THEN I sleep

My body has been doing crazy things of late. Maybe its my new advanced age or its the various changes I have made with my lifestyle in the past couple of months. But I can attest, this here my body, is not my own. To put it in brief, all functions of my body have changed, shifted base completely. I am so worried, I have no idea what my body will do next. Mind over matter, they say, but this matter has gone and got a mind of its own.
First, the sleeping patterns. I used to have a pretty decent sleeping patterns. I slept at night and during meetings. Other hours were decently distributed between, working hard, traveling to and from work and yawning. But I could hold an intelligent conversation between 8am and 8pm. I had my routine down pat that was unless I went out, then my whole weekend would go to rubbish. However, now, I sleep promptly at 2pm. I dread every afternoon conversation, I hate my machine after any meal and I have to slap myself severally before I start cooking my supper. In fact, I have made a point to never sit or lean on anything when I am preparing supper. Self poisoning is not how I think I should go. Now, I have to fight sleep at clubs, meetings, my desk, the bus home, the drive to town and pretty much any other time in between.
Then there's the random weight shifting. Any small change in weather and my weight is shifting upwards like a well-trained conman. Who would have thought that a day would come that nothing at all would fit me....including my sleeping shirt. This is after decades of wearing the same pair of jeans (I loved those jeans). Now I stare at them with shame and nostalgia. But in a counter effort, I have started running...everywhere. I run to lunch, I run to the market, I run to the butcher....Maybe I should make a point of running away from these food vendors. But all these wild running has started paying off. Yay effortful me!! I now fit into my t-shirts with ease, and my shorts don't go into hiding every time they here the wardrobe door open. In another month or so, I expect to be wearing those midriff bearing clothes I saw Lupita in. No matter what shape I am in, my dreams are valid!! I believe.
However, all these foolish running I have been engaging in has not been good on my bones or my water bill. But I shall discuss the bones first. The muscles are trying their darnest to keep these bones up and running and not doing a great job at it. I have started feeling pains. Pains I cannot adequately describe in words....or actions.....or sounds. But the sounds usually come close to describing the emotions my body is trying to express. AAAAAARGH! OUCH! OUCH! I now have official knee, back, clavical, waist and feet pain. Some days it gets so bad, that it hinders my night sleep which only pushes my afternoon naps to morning hours and then that whole day becomes useless and I end up pouring, hitting and soaking everything in any nearby liquids. My colleagues are beginning to believe I have a condition. This belief is only useful when I need a day off. Other times it is just a drag. Literally and figuratively.
So because of all this pain and the cold I am consistently picking up on my evening run, I have embarked on a cooking spree where I feed myself organic, almost fat free, almost vegeterian, boiled food. Sometimes when I have disliked my underwhelming food antics so much, I substitute my efforts with fruits from the local fruit vendor. However, she is constantly being kicked out by those pesky Chinese road builders. Hawa watu wa barabara watatumaliza. I did suggest to her to give one of the superviors her best come hither look. She thought I was joking. I don't know why. So there are days I excitedly go running towards her and find not even the structure of her shop is there. And so I walk back and boil more vegetables and watch something that will make the food taste better, like Friends or Big Bang or the Kardashians (don't judge me!)After that I sleep.
I now have to go for yearly and half yearly medical check-ups just to make sure my body is functioning properly. So I am adamant that the doctors shall find a healthy, bouncy teenage inside this body.Beaten and slightly bruised, but a teenager none the less. Yes, I shall walk and run and sleep my way to health.
I have been obsessing over this song lately. My change in taste of music is another change I cant explain.

4 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA!!!! change indeed, we still love you our boiled-vegetable eating pal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you can't guess which muscle in your body is the muscle that eliminates joint and back pains, anxiety and burns fat.

    This "hidden primal muscle" in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual energy, strength and athletic performance when developed.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive