Thursday, September 30, 2010

If It Kills Me

I believe music is the language of words we cannot say. It is the voice of the soul, the words that our hearts would never speak.

My pal once updated her status "Music always means more when it means something to you!" or something to that effect. For me, music is an important part of my life. Mostly because it feels up the blank spaces and if it has something to say to me, the better.That's why I have an affinity to rock and other strange genres that don't talk about shoes, booty, cribs or grills.

Yesterday I was on a mad Kidum craze. Not quite the whole album (and it is a great album) but the song "Haturudi Nyuma Kamwe". It was in my head for hours so I started playing it on a loop like I play most songs that are in my head. Eventually the guy in the office who sits across from me started looking at me funny. I am the type who sings out loud when my earphones are on and he's the type who points everything out using big words no one understands. Needless to say, we rub each other the wrong way.

After you listen to a song one too many times, it will start developing meaning. Suddenly you just want to sing to your neighbour and the mat driver, "haturudi nyuma kamwe,unayo nafasi ya kujikosoa...ukiniacha mi nitalia" I did not like that the song was started to associate itself with things and people and thoughts. So instead of doing what I was supposed to do in the evening, I ran home to find a replacement song. My machine is a maze of music I never listen to so it took some time to find something to fill in the blank space in my head.

So I get home, run to my room like a violence victim and start scrawling through the machine for something appropriate. I really didn't want to listen to the "Te Amo"s and the"Unthinkable"s because I'd eventually start "thinking" of my "te amos". Not exactly the direction I wanted to go.....

A couple of hours,minutes or seconds later (my concept of time was a bit fuzzy) I came across something I haven't watched in a really long time. This song isn't the best replacement to Kidum. Mostly because it was saying the exact words I was running away from but the choreography behind it blows me away every single time. So I will invite you into my world and my head for a little bit today.



What is playing in my head today:
Kidum- Number moja
Script-The man who can't be moved

2 comments:

  1. About music...let's just say I have had Kidum's album for ages, today was like the first time i was listening to it..but I have my weird selection to keep me occupied throughout the day

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I finally do buy a car, I think it's your music I'll steal. I have a particular relative who is out to kill me with "booty booty booty everywhere"

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive