Friday, August 5, 2011

The best conversation I ever had.

Sometimes in life, you get surprised. By the people you meet, the places you end up, the things you do. This was one of those times.

It was a long time ago. I was on the bus quietly minding my own business. I'd just had an misunderstanding with my boyfriend at the time and my mind was jumbled and confused. That's when I saw him through my window. He wasn't particularly pretty. He wasn't an adonis or anything. But for some reason I noticed him. I watched him walk up to the bus stop, I followed him as he entered and I observed him from the corner of my eye as he took the seat next to me.

He was carrying this book. Looked the size of a modern day encyclopedia. I had nothing to read, I was killing myself with my thoughts and I needed to talk. Normally, I'm a very shy character. I speak when I'm spoken to, I go to places only on invitation, I'm the type of person who goes to a party and sits by the door waiting for a quick exit. Well, not this time. I turned to him, looked him straight in the eye and said "hi!"

He looked abit taken aback. Then he said "Hi! I was hoping you'd talk to me." Even his voice had nothing special to it. But this time, it was my turn to be taken aback. That was how the best conversation I ever had started.

We talked about the book he was reading. We talked about the book I was reading. We talked about work and school and the reason he was boarding a bus in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. He was an IT expert type at CFC. He'd been working all night so he'd taken the day off. I was a student with big dreams. I talked about them. He talked about his. It's funny that the most memorable thing about that conversation was how it made me feel. The ease of it all. The ease with which one sentence flowed effortlessly into the next.

He didn't offer to pay for my transport and yet it didn't feel wrong or impolite. He just never offered and I never asked. In fact before today, I don't think I ever noticed. The ride home felt long but at the same time it didn't feel long enough. We were strangers and yet we were old friends. It was strange and fascinating.

He got off with me at my bus stop and offered to walk me home. After about half a km, he gave up te walk (he was abit on the heavier side). He didn't lie about it. The weight(he loved it)or the fact that half a km was as much as he was willing to push himself. It was interesting that he didn't feel the need to. He still had to walk back, get on another bus and go to his home. His last words to me: " For a girl like you, your boyfriend must be a god". I would be lying if I said that wasn't the best compliment I have ever been given. I smiled like a teenage school girl. "my boyfriend's human, just like every other boy." He smiled and walked away.

I have never seen him since. I have no idea if he moved out or if he still lives 15 minutes away. I do not know if he's still an IT expert sort person. I don't even know if I'd recognise him now if he passed me on the street.We both must have changed so much. But sometimes I think about him. Sometimes I wonder if we ever met again, whether the conversation would be just as great. Whether we'd be the same people. I have never talked to a random stranger on the bus since. Unless you can call the kange a random stranger.

Someday, though, in the future, I'd like to bump into him. When I'm all settled down and doing better. I'd like to tell him that I didn't quite achieve my dreams. Not by a mile but I'm doing good. I'm still trying to pursue them, I still read but books of much smaller sizes. And look, "you were right. My boyfriend is a god. Just like you imagined him."

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post! Been a while since I was in your hood and Im glad I piled the posts up! Had a dejavu moment while reading this...it involved a stack of hay,hehe. Anyway, you were a wise one for not following through with an exchange of numbers nini nini...coz it always ends up killing the best conversation you ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hay stack?? aii!now I want to know what you were doing in a hay stack....

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive